Gingivitis vs periodontitis
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums caused by an accumulation of dental plaque and tartar. Healthy gums are essential to good overall health.
- Bad breath
- Bleeding gums when brushing teeth
- Gums that are red, swollen and sensitive to the touch
- Poor dental hygiene
- Weakened immune system due to thyroid gland problems, diabetes, pregnancy or leukemia
- Bad habits such as biting one’s nails, gritting or grinding one’s teeth, smoking, too many sugary foods or drinks, unhealthy diet
- Certain medications, including hormonal contraceptives and some drugs
It’s important to treat gingivitis without delay, before it progresses to periodontitis. In this case, the bone supporting teeth could deteriorate, weakening the teeth and leading to their loss.
Gingivitis during pregnancy is usually temporary. Because it is caused by hormonal changes, it should go away after delivery.
If you think you may be suffering from gingivitis, call us today. Our experienced team can provide you with the right diagnosis and helpful advice.